Saudis allegedly tampered with security cameras after Khashoggi killing

Share

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist critical of the Saudi Government and its de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, disappeared at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

Turkey's Vice President Fuat Oktay stated that Turkey has given a message that no one can ever attempt to commit a murder such as the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi on its soil and those who do 'will pay the price'.

Khashoggi was killed inside the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul by a team sent from Riyadh on October 2, a murder Turkey's president said was ordered from "the highest levels" of Saudi Arabia's government.

Speaking to reporters in Japan, Mevlut Cavusoglu said Turkey has further information which it will share when Ankara knows for sure that the investigation has been completed.

"All what we want right now is to bury him in Al-Baqi in Medina with the rest of his family", Salah Khashoggi said of the cemetary in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi officials initially insisted Mr Khashoggi had left the consulate, but later said he died in an unplanned "rogue operation".

The news emerged after newspaper reports last week claimed Khashoggi's body was disposed of by dissolving it in acid.

More news: At least seven killed in attack on Coptic Christian bus in Egypt

Saudi officials provided conflicting explanations for his death before finally admitting he was killed after getting into a brawl with a Saudi security team that had meant to return him to the kingdom. "This will happen", said Mr Khashoggi, who sat for the interview with his brother, Abdullah (33). Saudi Arabia has detained 18 Saudi nationals in connection with Khashoggi's death, but Aiban gave no details on their status or whereabouts.

Thousands of Twitter users in Saudi Arabia have pushed for the boycott of Amazon.com and its regional subsidiary to slam the Washington Post for covering the assassination of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi; the Washington Post is owned by Amazon chief executive Jeff Bezos.

The official, who was not authorised to comment on the record and spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the dispatch of the two men to Turkey "suggests that Khashoggi's slaying was within the knowledge of top Saudi officials".

"I talked about that with the Saudi authorities and I just hope that it happens soon". "It's an ongoing investigation", he said.

They were part of the team that arrived on Oct. 11, and they were at the consulate daily from Oct. 12 to Oct. 17.

The kingdom's public prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, later said that the journalist was killed in a premeditated attack.

No trace of Khashoggi's remains has turned up, even as the 59-year-old journalist's sons appealed on the USA television news network CNN on Sunday for the Saudis to return his body so he can be buried in the major Islamic pilgrimage city of Medina with the rest of his family.

Share