Wisconsin man loses both legs after being licked by dog

Share

Greg Manteufel suffered a rare blood infection after harmful bacteria from a dog's saliva seeped into his bloodstream, causing sepsis, or blood poisoning from bacteria.

Doctors said the infection was likely caused by being licked by his dog.

Greg Manteufel, 48, landed in the emergency room after believing he had the flu.

Greg Manteufel started feeling sick June 27 and went into septic shock, according to a GoFundMe account set up in his name.

His wife, Dawn Manteufel spoke with Fox 6 about his symptoms, stating that the disease hit him with vengeance, bruising him all over. "Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", Dawn Manteufel said.

It caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop and the circulation in his limbs to decrease rapidly.

More news: Mourinho Urged To Sign Croatia Star Ahead Of Bale and Willian

Dawn Manteufel said that they are focued on what her husband has left, rather than what was taken away. "People with a weakened immune systems who have difficulty fighting off infections (for example, people with cancer or those taking certain medications such as steroids) are at greater risk of becoming ill", the agency says.

Manteufel contracted Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but there are other species of the bacteria that cause lesser side effects compared to what he had to go through.

Approximately 30% of people who do get infected die, which is why it's essential to see a doctor if you are bitten by an animal.

Within days of being admitted to the hospital, Manteufel had to have both of his feet amputated.

A man in Wisconsin, USA, has lost both of his legs and his nose after he caught sepsis following a friendly lick from his pet dog. Thankfully, it's also very rare, affecting only 0.67 people per million in a nationwide survey in the Netherlands, so dog owners shouldn't worry too much about their beloved pet landing them in a medical catastrophe. "This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin told Fox 6 Now. "It's just chance", Munoz-Price said. Possibly. If you own a cat or dog be aware that Capnocytophaga Canimorsus is a normal bacteria that grows in the mouth of up to 60% of dogs and 17% of cats.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated patients infected with the bacteria may have blisters around the bite wound, swelling, redness, fever, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea and muscle and joint pain.

Share