Concerns raised over 3 deaths in 2 separate Kansas City police shootings


Two deputies were shot this morning as they were transferring inmates from the Wyandotte County Jail to a hearing in the court services building across the street, in the 800 block of North 7th Street.

KSHB-TV reports the two deputies were transporting prisoners around 11:30 a.m. when they were "overcome" and were shot.

Bailiff said the investigation was now being handled by the police department in Kansas City.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) - Police say two Wyandotte County sheriff's deputies have been shot near the county courthouse in Kansas City, Kansas.

A Kansas deputy was killed and another was critically wounded Friday by a gunman who was also shot. "The prayers of all of Kansas lift up the deputy killed today, the deputy still fighting for life, their families and friends, and their fellow men and women in law enforcement who keep our communities safe each and every day".

Zach Blair, with the Kansas City, Kansas, Police Department says they are not looking for any other suspects. Both officers were transported to a local hospital where one remains in critical condition.

More news: Sri Lanka captain Dinesh Chandimal charged after ball-tampering row

The shooting and subsequent events happened in the parking lot of the gated transport office.

A suspect was reportedly shot during the incident and taken to an area hospital. Rohrer had been on the force for seven years, the Wyandotte County Sheriff's office said.

Colón earlier said he was "very confident (the shooting) was a last-resort situation to ensure the safety of the public". Investigators will be reviewing surveillance video, according to Kansas City Police Department spokesman Zac Blair.

Blair says the wounded have been taken to the University of Kansas Hospital.

"At first it looked like it was a harmless fight", witness Matthew Sinno said. The juvenile's condition is unknown.

He's also been charged with murder, assault and armed criminal action in a December 2017 shooting in Kansas City, Missouri. Details of what led to the shooting were not immediately available.