Olympic Alpine skiing women's slalom postponed due to strong wind in PyeongChang

Share

The women's slalom, which was due to take place on Wednesday, was postponed to Friday due to strong winds, the 2018 Winter Olympic's organising committee announced.

The strong winds meant that once again, USA skier Mikaela Shiffrin's first medal race in South Korea would be put off.

Breitfuss will compete again on Friday, February 16, in Super Giant Slalom and will close his performance in giant slalom on Saturday, February 17, while his teammate Timo Juhani Gronlund, 30, will compete in cross-country skiing.

As for the women's slalom postponement, fans will have to wait for Shiffrin's competitive Pyeongchang debut.

Female Alpine skiers aren't the only ones who have dealt with weather issues at the 2018 Olympics. Now, with the big time difference between the USA and South Korea, the giant slalom is set to be seen in primetime in America on Wednesday.

The event will now take place on Friday in Korea, which is Thursday night in mountain time.

More news: Cubs, Darvish agree to 6-year deal

Earlier this week in the women's slopestyle event, several riders were critical that racing was held in adverse conditions, with one Dutch snowboarder insisting the competition was a lottery. She topped the podium in the event at the Sochi Games before she earned her diploma, then added two more world championships in 2015 and 2017.

The super-G Olympic champion is one of the speed merchants who would have been looking to build a lead on the downhill run to make up for the advantage the more technical skiiers would have in the later slalom stage.

The postponements will compress the schedule for Alpine skiing, which has 10 events remaining, into just 10 days.

Already facing a bit of a time crunch because of all of the weather delays, organizers kept pushing back the first run of the two-run women's slalom until eventually deciding to call it off about an hour after the original start time.

"We had hope to be able to get today's race completed as scheduled, but it became clear that the winds were simply too strong to guarantee a fair and safe competition", FIS race director Atle Skaardal said.

"They said we had to do it today".

Share