Finnish court names knife attack suspect as Abderrahman Mechkah

Share

A minute silence has been held in the Finnish city of Turku for the victims of Friday's knife attack in which two women were killed and eight others were injured.

Officials are continuing to hunt for 22-year-old Moroccan national Younes Abouyaaqoub, who police say is the driver who plowed into the Las Ramblas thoroughfare in Barcelona, killing 14.

They said he may appear in court via video link from hospital.

Four other Moroccan citizens are suspected of involvement, but deny the accusations, the NBI statement said.

It was the first time there had been a jihadi-style attack in Finland. Police have not confirmed that. SUPO said it receives around a thousand pieces of such information per year and it has to prioritize.

More news: Punjab minister assures cooperation to contain dengue

According to the Yle broadcaster, a foreign national had contacted the Southwest Finland Police Department early in 2017 about the suspected perpetrator of the attacks, claiming that he was radicalized and interested in extreme ideology. The Legal Register Centre said Mechkah had no previous criminal record in Finland.

He was shot in the leg three minutes after the alarm was raised, and then detained, police said.

The assailant appeared to have targeted women, police have said. She said six of the eight injured were women.

Prime Minister Juha Sipila on Monday called for political unity to fast-track new intelligence legislation.

As Finland investigates yesterday's stabbing attack, in which 2 people were murdered, as an act of terrorism, Spain maintains its level 4 security alert.

Share