Pakistani news website Dawn reported that the SP Imran Awan has confirmed that more than nine bodies were shifted to a nearby hospital.
The attack targeted police assisting in a drive to clear the Ferozepur Road, a main road in Pakistan's second city, of illegal construction and street vendors on Monday, provincial Law Minister Rana Sanaullah told media. In February, a suicide bomber killed 14 people, including senior police officers, near the Punjab Assembly here.
The bombing targeted policemen who were securing a demolition site at an old building, authorities said.
Lahore police chief Capt (R) Amin Wains confirmed that it was a suicide attack and the "target was police".
Meanwhile, President Mamnoon Hussain, and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif have condemned the terrorist attack declaring that their country's ongoing war against terrorism will continue despite these "cowardly attacks:".More news: Audi joins the diesel recall bandwagon
Punjab government spokesperson Malik Mohammad Ahmed said 26 people lost their lives and 58 were injured when a auto bomb struck the old vegetable market.
Rescue teams reached the site of the incident.Nature of blast is still to be ascertained.
DCO Ahmed further said that 39 people were also injured in the blast.
According to reports, Arfa Karim Towers were evacuated immediately after the blast. Several of the injured were in critical condition and the toll may rise, Geo News reported.
However, no group has claimed responsibility for the blast yet.
The last massive attack in Lahore dates back to march 2016, when 75 people were killed and hundreds of others had been wounded by a bomb targeting the christian community in a park on Easter Sunday.