Turkish opposition: Govt blocks full probe into failed coup

Share

The Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM) adopted Monday a motion to extend the ongoing state of emergency in Turkey for another three more months, and for the fourth time since the failed coup attempt a year ago.

The previous day, the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had commemorated the first anniversary of the attempted coup by promising to "behead traitors".

The government asked parliament to extend it for a fourth time and the proposal was approved by the assembly, where President Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party has a comfortable majority. The head of the opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) insists Erdogan is using the coup to hide the truth and instead "write a fabricated history".

It followed weekend ceremonies to mark the anniversary of the abortive coup in which about 250 people were killed and almost 2,200 more injured.

More news: Protests underway in Poland over controversial Court Law

US authorities should search through any intercepted communications of Fethullah Gulen to seek evidence backing Turkey's accusation that the USA -based Muslim cleric orchestrated last year's failed coup, Turkey's envoy to Washington said on Friday.

Tezcan said inquiries into how Gulen's network allegedly rose within the state were obstructed to hide the "political side" of the coup and to protect the current government. Earlier, Hurriyet daily reported that 7,348 people including 2,303 police - were dismissed in total.

The state-run Anadolu news agency said the director, Ali Avci, was detained on suspicion of links to Gulen's group.

More than 50,000 people have been arrested and 150,000 people suspended from employment under the emergency orders, prompting concern over the rule of law and democracy in the strategic North Atlantic Treaty Organisation member.

Share