Police release last text from girl electrocuted in bathtub


Police have released the last photo a 14-year-old girl sent before she was electrocuted while texting in the bathtub in New Mexico.

Relatives believe the accident was caused either when the schoolgirl plugged in her phone while in the bathtub or grabbing the handset as it was being charged.

Madison Coe, 14, was at her father's house in Lovington, NM on July 9th when she plugged her cell phone into an extension cord while taking a bath.

"She had her phone plugged into the extension cord and it was by the bathtub and I did it, she did it, we all had sat there in the bathtub with our phones plugged in and played our games", explained her stepmother to KRQE. The caption to the photo mentioned how she had used the extension cord to plug the phone in and still be able to use it to text.

In a harrowing turn of events, the photo police released is of what would be the final text the teen would send. She was careful to make sure the cords stayed dry, authorities said, but was apparently unaware of a "significant area of fraying to the extension cord". Officials said she wasn't aware that a large portion of the cord was frayed. Additional investigation was conducted by the Criminal Investigations Division of the Lovington Police Department and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The family especially wants the message to reach other teens, to urge them not to use their portable electronics near water.

More news: 1.2 million Accords face fire risk from faulty battery sensors — Honda recall

"The bathroom is a place for showers and personal time and your phones don't belong in the bathroom", step mom Felisha Owens told KRQE.

"She was such a bright, vibrant, very intelligent, loving, caring young lady", O'Guinn-Downs said.

Coe, who was from Lubbock, Texas, had recently completed eighth grade at Terra Vista Middle School.

Her grandmother Donna O'Guinn revealed that the tragic girl had "burn marks" on her hand from when she touched the device.

Friends raised more than $12,000 on GoFundMe to help her family after her death.