Police say boy charged with 15 offences after London acid attacks

Share

Speaking to The BBC, Hussain - whose moped was stolen in the attack - described the pain after the acid was thrown at him.

The first incident, which occurred at the junction of Hackney Road and Queensbridge Road, was reported to police at 10:25 p.m. local time.

Acid attack victim Adele Bellis, who lost an ear and suffered deep burns on her face and body after being doused with sulfuric acid in 2014, is one of the victims that have opened up about the lack of punishment for those who commit the crime. 'It's burning on my face and I'm just screaming for the water, ' he said.

Police confirmed that two men carried out the attacks in the Hackney, Islington, and Stoke Newington areas of the city on Thursday night, July 13.

The suspects, ages 16 and 15, were arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery, The Guardian reported. Two of the victims were confirmed as being food delivery drivers.

London police say the number of reported attacks with corrosive liquids rose from 261 in 2015 to 454 in 2016. So far this year, not including Thursday night, the Met has recorded 119 such attacks.

Rudd's announcement comes at a time where the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) suggests that more than 400 acid or corrosive substance attacks were carried out in the six months up to April 2017, based on figures provided by 39 forces in England and Wales.

More news: France 'Very Concerned' Over Qatar Blockade, Prepared to 'Facilitate Mediation'

The pattern was repeated across a swath of east London.

He was taken to hospital but has now been discharged. The debate is scheduled to take place on Monday.

Former UK minister Stephen Timms said carrying acid should be made an offence and suggested licensing the purchase of sulphuric acid as he urged a change in sentencing guidelines.

"While it is virtually impossible to ban the sale of all corrosive substances, we are working closely with the Home Office and retailers to determine how we can keep these products from people who intend to cause harm". They then stole his moped and fled the scene. The 52-year-old victim was taken to the hospital with facial injuries believed to be non-life-threatening.

"I heard a high-pitched scream but thought it was the boys playing football".

"I was knocking on the windows".

He added: "I could not see his face as he was holding the cloth and he was in a lot of pain". The victim managed to make his way home before contacting police.

Share