London police: 58 people assumed dead in Grenfell Tower fire


Some Grenfell residents had warned months ago fire safety issues at the tower meant that it was at risk of a "catastrophic" event.

He said he was not interested in knowing why they had left it so long to make themselves known, but stressed that it was vital for police to know they are safe and well. "The bodies have been taken to a morgue, but more bodies remain in the building".

The death toll is expected to rise further as rescue workers continue to search for victims - an operation that Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy described as "extremely challenging".

"People raised these concerns, people were expressing issues regarding the safety and risky living conditions", says Lancaster West Residents Association chairwoman Olesea Matcovschi. The U.K. government has also promised to find homes for the survivors within three weeks at the latest.

The statement officially confirmed that a 23-year-old Syrian refugee was the first victim of the huge fire.

Kensington and Chelsea council leader Nicholas Paget-Brown, meanwhile, insisted to the BBC officials had "been working around the clock since Wednesday".

More news: Paul George Wants To Play For The Lakers, The Internet Has Jokes

Khan said images of the 1970's building being ravaged by fire "should be forever seared into our nation's collective memory". We want to rehouse people in a good home as quickly as we can. "United in our sadness, we are equally determined, without fear or favour, to support all those rebuilding lives so horribly affected by injury and loss", she said. "It may well be the defining outcome of this tragedy that the worst mistakes of the 1960s and 1970s are systematically torn down", he said. But she said the welfare of her loved ones was more important.

They would wear high-visibility clothing so that they could easily be found, dispense advice and ensure the right support was provided, she added. "This should not have happened in the beginning", she said. The inquiry will report back to the Prime Minister.

She did speak with emergency services.

Yet she did visit some of the injured at London's Chelsea and Westminster hospital on Friday, reportedly spending about an hour with patients and staff.

On Saturday afternoon, hundreds of protesters gathered in Whitehall to call for her resignation.

There have been demands for answers as to how the blaze was able to engulf the 24-storey building along with complaints that not enough was being done to provide assistance for those left homeless or information about those still missing.