Maria Sharapova Posts Allusive Retort After French Open Rejection

Share

Maria Sharapova's fate for a main draw entry at Wimbledon also lands in the hands of the authorities. "But it's my responsibility, it's my mission, to protect the game and protect the high standards of the game".

Sharapova has competed at three events since returning to competitive tennis following her 15-month suspension for testing positive for meldonium, a sanction that was reduced from two years by the Court for Arbitration of Sport (CAS).

After she was rejected for even a qualifying wildcard at the French Open, former World No. 1 Maria Sharapova has reacted, albeit subtly, against the organizers, taking to her Twitter to post a message soon after the rejection.

Several leading players have spoken out against tournaments in Stuttgart, Madrid and Rome offering Sharapova wild cards following her return to the circuit last month, arguing she should be given no special treatment during her comeback.

"I merely wished to say that I had decided not to award you the wild card that you had requested".

"It is now up to you, day by day, one tournament after the next, to find the strength within you to win more major titles, without owing anything to anyone".

More news: Mississippi boy found dead after kidnapped in running car

However, her first round victory on Monday against the United States' Christina McHale was enough to send Sharapova into the top 200 in the world rankings.

The 30-year-old Sharapova didn't comment about Giudicelli's ruling on Tuesday.

Sharapova was not able to acquire enough ranking points to secure an automatic place in qualifying for the tournament in Paris and so was reliant on a wildcard, with FFT president Bernard Giudicelli hinting that the rejection was due to her recent ban. Now she will have to wait until the 20 June to discover whether Wimbledon will give its 2004 champion the required wild-card. However, the Russian was forced to retire from her Internazionali BNL d'Italia match against Mirjana Lucic Baroni with injury.

Sharapova has been playing in great form since her return, and received wildcards to both the Madrid and Rome Masters. "It's going to be a very exciting fortnight at Roland Garros", Simon said in a statement.

Paris: The 18-time Grand Slam victor Roger Federer has announced his absence from the French Open later this month, and has turned his attention to the grass and hard court tennis seasons.

Shriver said Sharapova needed to come to terms with what had happened and turn her attention to preparing for Wimbledon, where the Russian is already one of the bookmakers' favourites for the title.

Share