Teen dies from too much caffeine, coroner says


So how much caffeine did Cripe ingest before his death?

Watts said the boy was doing something he thought was totally harmless, but an excessive amount of caffeine can be extremely unsafe.

Watts held a news conference Monday to discuss the results of an investigation into the death of Davis Allen Cripe, who died April 26 at Palmetto Health Parkridge Hospital after collapsing in a classroom.

"It's the amount and also the time frame in which these caffeinated beverages are consumed that can put you at risk", said Amy Durso, a Richland Co. pathologist. So risky, in fact, that the coroner is now warning his friends and family about their potentially deadly consequences. The teen had consumed the three beverages in a two hour period before his death, which Watts says caused the deadly caffeine overdose.

Stressing that it was the speed at which the caffeine was drunk rather than the actual amount, the coroner said "the same amount of caffeine on another day may have been right". Based on Cripe's weight, Watts says the amount of caffeine consumed was above what is considered a "safe limit".

Watts did not specify which energy drinks were consumed, but in general, a 24-ounce energy drink can contain as much as 500 milligrams of caffeine.

More news: Apple Releases iOS 10.3.2 Update

"There are are obviously people that don't think this can happen - that you can have this arrhythmia caused by caffeine".

Adolescents are not supposed to drink too much caffeine.

"I stand before you both as a broken-hearted father and hope that something good can come from this", said Sean Cripe, Davis Cripe's father.

The coroner reports the teen drank a large caffeinated soda, a latte, and an energy drink in the two hours before his death.

"Our objective here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be unsafe, and be very careful with how you use them, and how many you drink on a daily basis", Watts said.