A 16-year-old high school student from SC suddenly died last April after consuming three caffeinated drinks over the course of about two hours.
Cripe died from a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia", he said. Baryun says a 24-ounce can of some energy drinks contains the caffeine equivalent to 14 to 15 cups of coffee.
The death of a 16-year-old SC boy is serving as an eye-opening alert for those who consume caffeine.
"We lost Davis from a totally legal substance", Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said during a press conference.
According to the FDA, caffeine is safe up to 400 mg at a time, or the amount found in about five cups of coffee.
Davis Allen Cripe, a 16-year-old student at Spring Hill High School in SC, was a fan of energy drinks.
A 16-year-old collapsed at his SC high school after consuming too much caffeine in a short period of time.More news: Tim Allen 'stunned' and fans outraged by ABC axing his hit show
The incident prompted Watts and Davis' father, Sean Cripe, to warn other kids about the danger of consuming too much caffeine, a seemingly harmless substance present in a range of food products and beverages.
The autopsy revealed that Davis was healthy and he had no conditions that may have been set off by the caffeine intake.
"I stand before you as a broken-hearted father and hope that something good can come from this", said Sean Cripe, Davis' father.
Others could have had just as much or more caffeine than Davis and suffered no serious problems, Watts said, according to USA Today.
"The energy drink was basically chugged", Mr Watts said. He urges teens and other students to "please stop buying them". "But what we want to do today is make people understand these drinks, this amount of caffeine, how it's ingested, can have dire consequences and that's what happened in this case".
The American Academy of Paediatrics recommends that children belonging to the age group of 12 to 18 should consume less than 100 milligrams of caffeine per day.